Chicken & Herb Stew

4:27 AM





I chanced upon a couple of recipe books during the recent Big Bad Wolf Book Sale but the one that tugged me right at the soft spot was a book that had simple recipes to cook in a skillet. I always cook in one single skillet if possible, sometimes two three dishes at a time. I live in a small apartment, as spacious as it is for a standard city apartment, there's still limitations when it comes to the kitchen size and my biggest challenge is having only two stoves to cook on so this book is currently my holy grail. I will share successful recipes whenever I try any with you, and I shall go through the mountain of cookbooks I have on my shelf now.

I loved how simple yet hearty this dish is - delicious with the flavourful chicken as the star. The potatoes and veggies cooked in the broth was lovely, and I seriously wish we had more. This is the dish I'd wanna impress my friends, family or that special date with. If you love chicken dishes, this is a must-try.




Ingredients 


Fried Chicken:
A - 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
A - 1/2 teaspoon salt
A - 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
A - 1/4 teaspoon paprika powder
A - 1/4 teaspoon Cumin
A - A Sprinkle of Cayenne Pepper Powder

- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 4 chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil

Stew:
B - 4 medium sized potatoes of choice (russet, waxed or sweet) cut into quarters
B - 2 large carrots, cut into 3 inch bite sized pieces
B - 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
B - 1 large chopped white/ red onion
B - 2 cloves of garlic, minced
C - 1 3/4 cups water
C - 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
C - 2 chicken boullion cubes

- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)


How to cook

1. Combine ingredients A above in a shallow dish, stir until well blended. Coat chicken with the mixture and shake off excess.
2. Heat oil in large skillet (medium heat high) add coated chicken and cook until brown on each sides, frequently turn it. Remove from skillet, set aside.
3. Add ingredients B to skillet, cook until vegetables are lightly browned. Add ingredients C (or replace them with chicken broth if you prefer), cook and stir while scraping the browned bits at the bottom of the skillet. Add oregano and rosemary.
4. Stir chicken into the mixture (or leave it on top if you don't like soggy chicken skin). Cover and let simmer until chicken is cooked through. Another way is to serve the chicken crispy, and pour in the gravy after. Garnish with parsley.





Good luck!




Tag me @haniehidayah on instagram if you've tried any of the recipes, I'd like to see them! 

Bon Appétit 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images